From 1927 to 1972, Donald "Doc" Minnegan was an icon for athletics at Towson. Minnegan began his career at the Maryland State Normal School by coaching soccer. He later also coached baseball, track, baseball, and served as athletic director.
In 1963 he co-founded the Towson Athletic Hall of Fame, and in 1983 Towson renamed its stadium in Minnegan’s honor. After a substantial renovation, the stadium complex was later renamed Johnny Unitas Stadium in October, 2003. The playing field retained the name Minnegan Field.
Minnegan died in 2002. The Towson University tiger mascot, Doc, was named in his honor.
written by Allison Fischbach, research and archives associate, Spring 2021.