Major Renovation: 1990
Stephens Hall has been a campus landmark since 1914 and is the oldest academic building on campus. Defined by its distinctive clock tower, Stephens Hall is modeled after the English manor house Bickling Hall and is named for M. Bates Stephens, State Superintendent of Education from 1900 to 1920. Originally called the Administration Building, it was renamed for Stephens on September 19, 1957.
Stephens is home to the College of Business and Economics and the Departments of Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing and Management, and Mathematics. Stephens also contains a state of the art theatre, which hosts a variety of theatrical, musical and dance performances during the year.
The clock tower holds a 1,200 pound bell cast by the McShane Bell Foundry Company of Baltimore in 1915. It rang every hour for over half a century, until the tower was renovated in 1990.
Since then, the bell has only been run a handful of times, including April 12, 2000 for the Hands Across Towson event. On March 15, 2002, the bell was rung for the inauguration of Dr. Mark Perkins. On the first anniversary of September 11, 2001, the bell was rung in remembrance.
The Stephens Hall clock tower is a perennial icon of Towson University and has appeared on numerous campus publications. Both the Towerlight student newspaper and Tower Echoes yearbook take their names from the Stephens Hall building.
written by Nancy Gonce, University Archivist, Spring 2006
edited by Allison Fischbach, Research and Archives Associate, Spring 2021