Named for Earle T. Hawkins, president of State Teachers College at Towson/ Towson State College from 1947 to 1968, the Hawkins Hall complex includes Hawkins Hall to the south, the Psychology Building to the north, and the Lecture Hall to the east. The buildings surround Freedom Square, with Hawkins Hall and the Psychology Building connected via an enclosed, elevated walkway over The Avenue of Learning.
The complex was dedicated on September 29, 1978, with Hawkins Hall designated to house the deparments of early childhood education, elementary eduation, and secondary education and reading. Today it continues to house the Department of Early Childhood Education.
written by Allison Fischbach, research and archives associate, Spring 2022.