Athenaeum Club Building

Overview

 

The Athenaeum Club building stood at the corner of Franklin and Charles streets in Baltimore City, Maryland. Formerly operating as a social club, The Maryland State Normal School and the State Superintendent of Education rented space in the building from 1872 until 1875. The school then moved to the newly built Carrollton and Lafayette avenue building. The Athenaeum was razed in 1908.

 

The building hosted three large halls, various parlors, a library, a sun porch, and several classrooms. Enrollment at the time was 162 students, with nine faculty members. This building allowed the Normal School and both its Model Schools to operate out of the same location for the first time.

 

edited by Allison Fischbach, Research and Archives Associate, Spring 2021